I love board games. This week, in honor of Scifi Saturday, instead of posting a chapter of Space Dust, I’ll post a custom scenario I’ve written for the Firefly board game by Gale Force 9.
Thanks Joss Whedon and co. for your wonderful scifi fantasy epic; you’ve inspired so much (including parts of my own Space Dust adventure). Thanks to my beta-testers M, K, and H. Its probably a long game (4-5hours with both Rim expansions) but I think that’s normal for games with both Rim expansions… please comment below, or contact me if any rules are unclear… happy to explain further. Enjoy!
Firefly the Board Game—The Great Race
There’s a wager that the captain with the canniest ship and crew could spin round the ‘Verse faster’n anybody else. Big betters have put up money to see if it’s true. Glory awaits the captain and crew who can complete the course first. And the prize money won’t hurt neither!
Goal 1: Secure the Race Route. “Entrants in the Race hafta’ know the checkpoints, and it’s not what ya know, it’s who ya know.”
Become solid with Higgins, Amnon Duul, Harkin, Patience, and Niska (and Lord Harrow for Blue Sun Expansion, for an extended game) to receive a Goal Token.
Goal 2: Enter the Race. “Sure. Anybody can fly. If you got a shiny penny…”
Travel to Beylix, Pengali and use a Work Action to pay the entrance fee of $6,000. Receive a Goal token. You have entered the race.
Qualify for Victory:
- Reach checkpoints. Once entering the race you must proceed to the following checkpoints in order: Santo, Qin Shi Huang, Three Hills, Georgia (for Blue Sun, at Muir, Blue Sun). After declaring a Work Action at each checkpoint receive a Goal Token. First qualified player to receive 4 (5 Blue Sun) Goal Tokens wins.
- “Gain the Whole ‘verse, but lose your soul.” Your crew are the soul of your ship; you must finish the race with the same number of crew you began with. Unfortunately, your soul has less appetite for glory than you. If they become disgruntled on the race, they will leave you the moment you set foot to a planet. Can’t pass a checkpoint unless the referees receive the same number of bioscans as the officials at Beylix. Didn’t say they had to be the same bioscans….
- “Is that the same ship?” Referees at checkpoints can be mighty picky. If your ship shows any new modifications at any checkpoint, you will be penalized a Goal Token. Fix your ship, go back to the last checkpoint and re-check-in for a replacement Goal Token. Then try again…
- Once you’ve entered the race, you must stay solid with all required Contacts. Lose a Rep, lose a Goal Token. Regain their trust, get it back.
Additional Rules: It’s a Tricky ‘Ol ‘Verse Out There.
- If you are solid with Fanty and Mingo, receive 2 fuel at each successful check-in.
- If you are solid with Mr. Universe (Blue Sun), you may discard a fuel to ignore any 1 Nav Card per-leg of the race.
The Victor: The first player to receive their final Goal Token with a qualifying ship and crew is now the canniest captain in the ’Verse. And possibly the richest!